Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Week 6 Web Theory

Part 1: Passivity and Activity
To be honset due to the bad condition of my home PC computer (the family computer), my computer mediated activity isl imited to just checking/receiving/replying to emails, the internet and using word to type up assignments. None of these uses are relatively active as I dont rely on them to much to communicate. Unlike games or other creative content, using these functions on the computer does not really increase my need for further engagement or investment with them. My needs of these uses similarly does not really change.

Part 2: Exemplars to the Cultural production Thesis
Firstly, to bring everyone (and myself) up to speed, The Cultural production thesis refers to new media and computer mediated communication and how it allows for greater production by consumers in creating new or improved media content. Old media technologies such as the radio and television cannot do this. Content is consumer/user generated and can include blogs, videos on youtube, artwork of favorite TV shows/movie uploaded to fansites, and soooo much more.Doing an assignment about the movie Juno and its online fansite last semester was interesting. I was amazed at the amount and range of consumer generated content on Juno. I could get free ring tones of movie quotes and consumer made tshirts, posters and art created by fans.

Being new to Blogger, I don't exactly know how to leave comments on other Blogs, at least I've added them (the correct term for blogger is 'follower' sorry for the confusion.) Anyway looking/reading other peoples excellent blogs, I feel like I've just been talking a lot of bull on mine :( Anyway unlike mine everyone is generally up to date on their posts unlike my mixed mash of posting form different weeks. They also have decorated ther is soooo much more and better than mine (hopefully this will change by end of semester), they also seem to post more concisely and to the point than me which makes for easier reading (I will definitely have to work on these blog points).

No comments: